Saturday, August 8, 2009

Preach the Gospel; use words if you must

Preaching the gospel by example is much more difficult than doing so by using words. This morning, I stopped at the long term care center in order to finalize my service format for tomorrow's worship. I am never able to go directly to my office. As I exit the elevator, I turn toward the day room which is often filled with residents.

This morning, there were 23 residents all sitting with absolutely no stimulus except CNN news! There were three CNA's at a back table with one resident and none of them were speaking to the resident. None of them made a move during the 20 minutes that I was in the day room, to speak or interact in any manner with the residents.

I know that many of these residents are non-verbal and others are extremely confused. On the other hand, they always respond when I go to each of them individually and speak to them. Several of the residents anger the others in that they do not speak but rather, simply vocalize in a shrieking voice and another by loudly singing out the melody of songs! I have learned that the first woman is able to speak, but needs to be reminded and have limits set. When I do this, we are able to have a conversation. This is not always an easy time, but I am generally able to have some conversation with her. Once again, the CNA's in the dayroom, looked at me as if I was crazy trying to interact with any of the residents let alone with one who would rather yell than speak.

"Preach the Gospel; use words if you must." Not all those who need a hug and some encouragement are in long term care. I have observed drivers swerve around an obviously intoxicated individual and make no attempt to move that person to safety. I have called 911 for a patrol vehicle to move an obviously intoxicated individual to safety only to be asked if that person is "an Indian." We have all been in crowds so dense that we are nearly piled one upon the other and no one speaks or acknowledges the other in any manner.

Francis understood what the disciples of Jesus couldn't grasp. They became confused with the words of the Teacher and they missed the impact of his actions. Many of us are still confused disciples of the Christ. If we can't say or write what we think, we are immobilized by anxiety and concern that we will not make an impact.

The poor will always be with us. You and I as disciples of Jesus Christ, have an obligation to become one with them, rather than engage in a "them" and "us" recognition of one another. Let's try to speak fewer words and to increase our outward and visible actions to others as we spread the Good News.

No comments:

Post a Comment