Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Poverty and those living in a Persistent Vegetative State

Two weeks ago, I met Jake (not a real name). He is a 30+ yr old man residing in a long term care facility and diagnosed as being in a persistent vegetative state. I first saw him in his room. The curtains were drawn (about 1 PM), there was no music or other sound in the room. Jake's eyes moved randomly and he allowed me to place my hand in his. He drooled constantly and made no obvious connection with his environment. I spoke to him and assured him that many of us care about him.

Last week, as I was about to begin a "chaplain's chat" group, Jake was brought into the day room. The CNA placed his wheelchair outside of our circle. I immediately moved Jake into the circle and placed him next to me. As I began the group, I took Jake's hand in mind and kept it there (as a means of connecting Jake to us) throughout the next 45 minutes. It was obvious that some of the residents were uncomfortable having Jake with us. Several shook their heads as if they could not believe that I would include Jake in anything, let along "their" group!

It is obvious that Jake makes many people uncomfortable. Because of that, staff respond to the majority who would rather keep him in his room and out of sight. Certainly, we don't know what Jake is experiencing: does he recognize people present near him or hear and understand voices?
Perhaps the need to keep Jake out of sight stems from the realization that anyone of us might be in a similar state at some time. We don't want to think of living without any realization or connection with others.

This approach to Jake certainly lacks a realization of connection of others with him. There is a poverty of spirit with no acknowledgement by many residents and staff that we are truly connected to and with Jake by virtue of our human experience. Jake is being denied the possibility of human interaction at the most basic level (simply being placed in the circle).

I'll admit that it isn't especially easy to speak to someone who shows absolutely no response or indication of connectedness. I don't remember Jesus or Francis having an expectation of response. I doubt that Jake would have been excluded from any one of the large crowds that followed Jesus. If someone had tried to exclude him, certainly Jesus would have used the occasion as a teaching moment.

I have made a commitment to Jake and that is to include him wherever I can and to add variety to his days by providing music of various types, group interactions, visitors, interaction with his family, and anything else that is an acknowledgement of his humanness. How, as a follower of the Christ and Francis can I do any less?

No comments:

Post a Comment