Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The Poor We Will Have Always With Us

Don't leave yet. Of course you know that the poor are with us. The question within the statement is who we identify as the poor. With today's uncertain economy, there is a huge increase in those who consider themselves poor. Their criteria is based on declining income, loss of jobs, homes, and other material possessions. While I understand these circumstances and losses, I also look beyond them and include those who have experienced grief (from a death, separation, divorce, etc.), those who suffer depression and many others.

As a member of a Franciscan Religious Order, I am compelled to follow the example of St. Francis of Assisi, who focused his entire ministry on and with the poor. My primary focus is on those who are unable to pay the high costs of traditional funeral homes and are snubbed if they are dependent upon county funds to pay for a funeral. When a family approaches me for assistance, the question that continues to run through my mind is, "what would Francis do?"

I must ask myself how I welcome mourners and respond to their needs in a compassionate and financially responsible manner. Do I recognize the Christ in those with whom I work? How might we be financially responsible while maintaining dignity and service to these families?

I'm off to meet with a family soon. More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment