Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The No Show Family

The family I had expected did not show up at my office. This would generally make me crazy, but as fragmented as the caller was last night, I'm not surprised. This is another manifestation I encounter with the poor; they need assistance yet they often don't follow through. I've been called when a body is already at another funeral home. I know that the family is often being charged more than they can afford or the funeral home is only offering the bare essentials (fiberboard, cloth covered caskets, no frills) in order to make some income.

I became a funeral director to serve the poor and had no expectation of making a living doing so. This means that I will cut my basic service fee in order to upgrade a casket, or provide a hearse rather than my van, and so on. With the huge overhead of most funeral homes, these cuts are not feasible.

More about funerals and the poor another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment