Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Where does spirituality fit into this picture?

Spirituality has been defined and explained in many ways, most of which speak to interconnection of creation. As I read through my previous postings, I find this interconnection one of the missing pieces (that which at the heart of the poverty). Our spirituality is essential to our development of values and our understanding of the very meaning of life.

Each of the experiences of poverty about which I have written, exemplify my understanding of spirituality. As spiritual persons, we cannot walk through life with blinders keeping us from seeing those around us. Rather, we are keenly aware of others and we are disturbed when the other is marginalized, forgotten, neglected, disrespected.

Even as I write, my mind has focused on Henry Nouwen's book, WITH OPEN HANDS. Fr. Nouwen speaks to the necessity of opening our hands in order to receive others. As disciples, he tells us that our responsibility is to challenge society, to ask the difficult questions, to not accept the status quo.

It is not enough for me to lift up the poor as I write. I MUST act to change the society, the systems, the mindsets, the prejudices that cause others to be impoverished and marginalized. This is hardly an easy commitment. As spiritual persons, we must do everything in our power advocate for changes: help for the homeless, respectful areas in nursing homes and other places for those who are dying, outreach to all who reside in nursing homes (even the most cranky).

Saint Francis of Assisi recognized this interconnection with all of creation. He embraced people, animals, nature, the sun and moon, as his brothers and sisters. Francis treated the wealthy and the poor alike and gave to the poor what others refused to give-unconditional love, human loving interaction, kindness and compassion.

No comments:

Post a Comment